This inquiry is a current Legislative Council inquiry conducted by the General Purpose Standing Committee No. 2.
Referred: This inquiry was established on 1 September 2015 to inquire into and report on elder abuse in New South Wales.
- Call for submissions: 2 Sep 2015
- Submissions close: 15 Nov 2015
Inquiry Terms of Reference
That the General Purpose Standing Committee No. 2 inquire into and report on matters relating to elder abuse in New South Wales including:
- The prevalence of abuse (including but not limited to financial abuse, physical abuse, sexual abuse, psychological abuse and neglect) experienced by persons aged 50 years or older in New South Wales
- The most common forms of abuse experienced by older persons and the most common relationships or settings in which abuse occurs
- The types of government and/or community support services sought by, or on behalf of, victims of elder abuse and the nature of service received from those agencies and organisations
- The adequacy of the powers of the NSW Police Force to respond to allegations of elder abuse
- Identifying any constraints to elder abuse being reported and best practice strategies to address such constraints
- Identifying any strength based initiatives which empower older persons to better protect themselves from risks of abuse as they age
- The effectiveness of NSW laws, policies, services and strategies, including the 2014 Interagency Policy Preventing and Responding to Abuse of Older People, in safeguarding older persons from abuse
- The possible development of long-term systems and proactive measures to respond to the increasing numbers of older persons, including consideration of cultural diversity among older persons, so as to prevent abuse
- The consideration of new proposals or initiatives which may enhance existing strategies for safeguarding older persons who may be vulnerable to abuse, and
- Any other related matter.
- The Hon Greg Donnelly MLC - Australian Labor Party - Chair
- The Hon Paul Green MLC - Christian Democratic Party - Deputy Chair
- Ms Jan Barham MLC* - The Greens
- The Hon Sophie Cotsis MLC - Australian Labor Party
- The Hon Matthew Mason-Cox MLC - Liberal Party
- The Hon Dr Peter Phelps MLC - Liberal Party
- The Hon Bronnie Taylor MLC - The Nationals
* Ms Jan Barham is substituting for Dr Mehreen Faruqi as a member of the committee for the duration of the inquiry.
Follow us on Twitter: @nsw_upperhouse